1/20/09

1st Inauguration...

ok so,

Last weekend we went to the Santa Barbara Zoo. It is supposed to be one the best zoos around the SoCal area. But, I am just not that into zoos at all. I never really liked them as a child and now as an adult, I find them exploitative. Maybe I take the animal rights thing too far, but I just imagine what it would be like to be one of those caged animals. At times, I have known the feeling. I would like the girls to know and be interested in animals but I am conflicted about visiting zoos. I was so distressed during our time at the zoo, that I only got 1 pic the entire day...and that was quite a struggle.

On a lighter note, today was the girls' first inauguration of the new president of the United States Barack Obama. Both girls went to nursery school wearing their new "Obama" t-shirts that their Aunt Judy picked up for them. They were the toast of the toddler room. How exciting that the girls should be born in the era of our first black president. Their future looks bright already...and so did their shirts after their berry breakfast.

Oh, and reading the latest copy of my guilty pleasure People Magazine, I heard about a man with a baby daughter 3 months younger than the girls. He lives here in the San Fernando Valley and is raising his daughter Madeline by himself. Just a day after his wife had given birth, she succumbed to a fatal blood clot in her lung. The story breaks my heart because it hits close to home. Just a year ago after giving birth to the twins and hommoraging afterward, I lay for weeks in the hospital fighting for my own life, hoping with all my might that the girls would not grow up without a mother!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I feel the same way about zoos. The animals always look so sad.

Cute Obama shirts. I watched the inauguration and the girls just played quietly in the living room, completely oblivious. I can't wait to tell them about it later in life.