6/9/08

How to photograph twins...

ok so,
As the mother and sister of twins and former portrait studio photographer, I should probably have some tricks up my sleeve when in comes to photographing twins. However, trick bag or not, I have come to realize that the only way to succussfully capture the little dears is by luck. Just keep shooting the camera and hope that one picture will turn out ok. This method, however, cannot be achieved with a cell phone camera, which is what I have been using since the girls' birth.
My husband and I had every intention of getting a great camera for photographing our only children. In fact, before I went into labor, we had a discussion about the very topic. But then, I went into labor, the girls were born and sent off to the NICU for a month and I stayed in the hospital for 6 weeks due to complications of their birth. I was hardly in any condition to run out and buy a camera. In fact, before the delivery, we hadn't even finalized the purchase of a family car (both of us had sports cars when we got married) so my husband had to bring the car loan papers to the hospital for me to sign. A day later, in the middle of the night, my husband temporarily stole a wheelchair from the hospital lobby and wheeled me downstairs to the hospital parking lot to see my brand new, 2008, white, Honda CRV (then he wheeled me to the caffeteria where I ate junk food for the first time in 7 months).
So, this weekend, my husband and I fed, burped, bathed, dressed and packed the girls in the CRV and headed to our local Best Buy to buy a camera. Upon the recomendation of photographer Kelly Vasami, and after negetiations resembling an Arab trader's, we purchased an open box Canon Rebel XT for $200 (which retails for about $550 at Best Buy). What a deal! I just hope Kelly can help me use it! We have yet to try it- we are sort of afraid of it right now- kind of like we were when the twins were born.

2 comments:

Kelly Vasami said...

Wow, that IS a great deal on the Rebel XT! I saw it for $400 online yesterday and thought that was a steal! Can't wait to see your beautiful images.

Also, there are some great free online learning resources through Canon, etc. Just do a google search for "Rebel XT tutorials" or something similar.

Good luck and thanks for the shout-out! :)

Kristin said...

I clicked over here from Kelly's blog and have to ask...how in the world did you get that camera for $200??? If I could find one for that pice at our Best Buy, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Do tell! :)